Like I mentioned in my previous Sensory Play post, I have been obsessed with baby sensory play. I saw the benefit of it and my inner-self artistic side really took over this time. I went on a search to perfecting my DIY Play Dough for Baby Ari. Finally, I found the perfect recipe and 100% totally edible. I think it is obvious but let me state the obvious anyways: Edible means that if baby plays with it and by any chance put the play dough in her mouth, it is safe. It doesn’t mean that you make the play dough for your baby to eat.
I am totally in love with my DIY edible play dough. This time, I remember to take photos so that I can show you how to make it, step-by-step.
What are the ingredients for KPOPMOM’s edible play dough?
- 1 Cup Baby Cereal – I used Cerealac as it is one of the cheapest I could find
- 1 Cup Corn Starch
- 3 tbs of vegetable oil or cooking oil
- Coloring – you may use any food coloring of your choice. I wanted something really natural so I used Bunga Telang/ Blue Pea flower for colouring
For those who doesn’t know, Bunga Telang/ Blue Pea Flower/ Asian pigeonwings, etc is a type of flower. The same one used to make Nasi Kerabu (blue/purple rice).
Ready to do your very own edible play dough?
I started off with the colouring because some preparation is required. I used only 3 bunga telang but you may use more or less, as you wish. Put them in a bowl and add hot water.
Here’s a video on how to do it.
Once we are done with the colouring, we will start by putting all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Mix both dry ingredients well. Then, we will start adding the wet ingredients.
The original recipe that I found on the internet uses 1.5 tbs of apple sauce. However, this is not necessarily and can be replaced with water. I used the coloured water instead. I added almost 5-6 tbs of water. You may add it to the consistency that you like your dough to be.
Once it looks something like the photo above. You may start getting your hands dirty! Use your hands and knead the dough.
When you are kneading the dough, just use your own judgment on whether you want to add more corn starch or more baby cereal to get the consistency that you like. I think it took me around 10 minutes to get to the consistency that I like. I did not include those 10 minutes entertaining Baby Ari because she was crying, and another 20 minutes feeding her!
Finally, it’s ready and the first person that gets to play with it is MUMMY!
What says KPOPMOM on the edible play dough?
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Totally love it!
What I love about this:
- The texture is really smooth and very very close to the play-doh that you purchase from the stores
- I love the smell. There’s more of the baby cereal smell so I think baby will love it
- Didn’t know that the blue pea flower/ bunga telang can be made to such good use. Now I can say that my play dough is completely natural. I already have my next colour in mind – purple carrots!
- The colour didn’t transfer to my hands! With my previous experiment (using food colouring/ food dye), the blue colour transfered so easily to my hands
- It is safe and completely edible! I don’t have to worry if my baby takes and put a tiny piece into her mouth
What I think can be improved:
- I think the recipe given with 3tbs of vegetable oil was too much. The play dough felt slightly oily. Although it is still okay, I would have loved it more if it is not so oily.
- Not sure if I can find a replacement for Baby Cereal ingredient as that made my play dough expensive!
What to do with your DIY edible play dough?
The edible play dough is so easy to make. Other than just as a sensory play toy for your baby, you can make them as party packs or for kids to play with during their play dates. As your child grow, this can be a great bonding session for the both of you, even daddy can join. Create an atmosphere that allows your child to participate and do something, either kneading the dough, pouring the baby cereal or corn starch or even mixing the colouring!
So, what are you waiting for? Go and make your own edible play dough now.